SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, June 29, 2020

review: I was told it would get easier by abbi waxman



I absolutely love Abbi Waxman’s books and was so excited to get I WAS TOLD IT WOULD GET EASIER for review—thanks @berkleypub! This book focused on the mother-daughter relationship shop between Jessica and Emily while they are on a group tour of colleges on the East Coast.


Their dual perspective made this story. It was so interesting, ironic, and insightful to see their different perceptions of the same situation. I loved that as an adult I could see Jessica’s reason and rationale but could also empathize with Emily’s as I obviously also went through teenage years. It was very clever and frustrating in the most realistic way. I wanted to shake them and just tell them how much they love each other!

Waxman’s token quick-witted dialogue is present in full force. I love how her characters talk and how smart they are. The teenagers from these privileged West Coast private schools were a riot. But rich or not, these kids faced the same stress and drama that kids everywhere do and worry if they’re good enough for the next stage in their life.

Jessica’s conversations with her best friend and their take in female friendship melted my heart and was reminiscent of how I feel about my best friend. Men come and go, etc. etc. Also, I LOVE that Waxman includes characters from previous books as cameos. Hey Frances from Other People’s Houses!! I love when authors do this because it’s like a bonus gold star for longtime readers or backlist bingers. I was also very much obsessed with how badass Jessica was at her job as a lawyer. She is a girl’s girl and she takes no prisoners to get what she thinks is right. Girl power

Rating: 4 Stars | Genre: Contemporary
Publisher: Berkley | Source; Format: eARC from publisher

Post a Comment