SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, December 31, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday! Books I Resolve to Read in 2013

Happy New Year ya'll!! Hope all your holidays were filled with fun, great food and lots of bookish treats! We enter the New Year with a fantastic Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and The Bookish!! This week's is Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2013. Oof, that's a loaded topic...you mean I gotta recognize all those books I've been wanting to read but have had to put off...eesh, ok, here goes!





Classics
There are several classics that I haven't read yet...that I am more than ashamed to admit to. So here are a few of the ones that have been sitting on my shelf that I just haven't gotten around to yet...but I'm hoping I will in 2013.

1. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackerey--I started this book years ago when I was in college, sped through the first 100 pages, was really enjoying it...but then school started up again...and I had to stop. Never really picked it back up but I will try sooo hard to read it this year...I hope 

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens--Read Great Expectations in high school, remember liking it enough but I've heard this book is even better. I bought it when I was in France (because I had to buy a book in every country I went to that was pertinent to its history...yeah, that actually happened) so not only is it supposed to be good but it's from Europe...sassy :)

3. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald-- LOVE The Great Gatsby so I feel it only right to read other books by Fitzgerald and this one sounded the best, so there goes that.

4. East of Eden by John Steinbeck--I have heard this is just one of the most fantastic books ever written. Good vs evil and a re-telling of Cane and Abel...sounds pretty darn good. The size daunts me, I won't lie, but I will read it...I will...





Genre Out of My Comfort Zone...YA Contemporary

So I am also ashamed to admit, I really don't venture out into the YA Contemporary world as much as I should. Don't get me wrong. I obsess over John Green. All of his books are pure brilliance to me but I just haven't found other books similar or that sound of interest to me. BUT the following books I have heard SO many great things about so I resolve to read these and step out of my comfort zone. 

5. If I Stay by Gayle Forman-- I am ever so excited to read her new book coming out, Just One Day, so I want to prepare for that book by reading her other works. I'm excited!

6. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson--Another contemporary I have heard excellent things about. I did a little research on Goodreads and this is another one that kept popping up.

7. Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill--Another Goodreads find. Good premise. I was being pretty picky and this one sounded good, too. And it takes place in London...hello, obvious choice!

8. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry--I kept seeing this pop up on a lot of End of Year Surveys about the romance and the story so I will cave and read this, too. I actually and quite looking forward to reading these. 



Books I Just Haven't Gotten Around To Reading Yet

9. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys--Heard AMAZING things about this. I am beyond excited to read. Just got it for Christmas, the anticipation is palpable!

10. Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor Aquitaine by Alison Weir--I looooove historical fiction. I have not read anything about Eleanor of Aquitaine but she sounds fascinating. This has also been sitting on my shelf and I just haven't gotten to it yet but I hope to soon!



There ya go! Can't wait what books you've all been waiting to read in 2013!! Hope you enjoyed mine! :)

48 comments :

  1. Meant to bee looks so cute. And I have heard a lot of good things about Between Shades of Gray. I hope that you like all of the books you read :)

    Cristal @ Life & Times of a Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alison Weir! I haven't read about Eleanor of Aquitaine yet either. I'm going to try to read about Marie Antoinette and Queen Victoria this year. I also have a pile of classics to read. East of Eden is in my 2013 pile too :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! And I want to read about Marie Antoinette, too but haven't found a good one yet, any recs!??! :)

      Delete
  3. East of Eden is good. Not my fave, but good.

    I love YA Contemporary, but not quite as much as other genres. However, Pushing the Limits was easily one of my faves of the year. The Sky is Everywhere, Meant to Be, and If I Stay are all good as well.

    Good luck reading all of these books.

    Here are the books I resolve to read

    ~Danica Page
    Taking it one Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'm a new GFC follower. Feel free to follow back, if you'd like to.

      Delete
    2. Good to hear, can't wait to start reading! Your blog is fab and I followed too! :)

      Delete
  4. I loved A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens so much I read it twice. And East of Eden is very good too. I look forward to what you write about them. This is my first time doing Top Ten Tuesday, I look forward to visiting you again. Happy reading in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so good to hear! Now I'm more excited to read it! Hope you love TTT! It's my favorite meme to do :)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! Great list; I love your story about your copy of A Tale of Two Cities--that's my sentiments too re: some of the books I bought over there as well <3 I hope you enjoy it, some of my favourite literary lines comes from that book. I should get around to Vanity Fair but I dunno, maybe not this year...

    Here's my reading list for 2013 =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! :) I love buying books on vacation they always will have an extra special meaning, glad I'm not alone!

      Delete
  6. Meant to Be, Pushing the Limits, The Sky is Everywhere and If I Stay are on my TBR Pile , but they didnt make it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanity Fair is fab. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That´s a great list, I wish you a wonderful year of reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might read East of Eden next year, too. I wonder if anyone is having a Read-a-long of it....

    Here's my list of Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2013. I hope you will stop by! And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have a lot books that I want to read too, specially A tale of two cities. I've heard it's really good.

    I hope you will be able to read all of them and have a great time reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel I should read more classics too, especially as an English major, but there's a ton I haven't read. I really want to try and read A Tale of Two Cities, but I tried to make it through Great Expectations once and just couldn't, so I still feel fatigued from that I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, that it will become a chore to read...hope not... :/

      Delete
  12. I absolutely adore East of Eden, and I want to read A Tale of Two Cities too! I think you'll LOVE Pushing the Limits! I definitely did.

    Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower! I'm hoping to read A Tale of Two Cities this year too, but I didn't put it on my list. Also Pushing the Limits is a must!

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks so much for stopping by and staying :) Can't wait to read Pushing Limits everyone is saying it's good!

      Delete
  14. Great list. I loved Captive Queen, its a really great historical fiction and very well written.

    Check out my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't met anyone who has read Captive Queen! Eeep! I am so much more excited to read this now hearing it's good! I mean, I would have read it anyways but its good to hear! :)

      Delete
  15. All of those YA contemps are on my to-read list as well! And Between Shades of Grey is pretty much awesome. I hope you get to that one soon. ;) Great list!

    My TTT

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just added Meant To Be on my reading list! I've always wanted to read East of Eden. Love the movie. Guess I'll add that book to my list too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen the movie either...I should get going on that haha :)

      Delete
  17. I have the same thing with contemporaries! I should be reading them more often, because I always love them! I've read Pushing the Limits and it's one of my favorite novels of last year!

    Happy 2013!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am always drawn to magic and sword fights and kingdoms...real people bore me haha

      Delete
  18. Great choices! I need to read vanity fair as well. I just finished the audio book of if I stay and was not impressed, but maybe the book is better. Here's Ours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an audio book fan so I hope it's better...I'll let you know when I get to it! :)

      Delete
  19. I am probably the only person in the world who didn't like Pushing the Limits.

    The Sky is Everywhere is beautiful and the sequel to If I Stay-Where She Went is even better than the first book.

    I need to read Between Shades of Gray too.

    HERE is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really?! Eep, I'll have to tread with caution. And I have heard that about the sequel to If I Stay, can't wait to get to that one :)

      Delete
  20. Ohh my gosh! If I Stay is such a good book and I can't wait for you to read it... same with Pushing the Limits!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic list. I love seeing people dedicated to reading the classics...:) (I have yet to read any of those either!) I've read If I stay and the Sky is Everywhere and they're both good but I loved The Sky is Everywhere. And Between Shades of Grey IS amazing. :) Happy Reading!
    The Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just purchased "If I Stay", I've been wanting to buy "The Sky is Everywhere" and definitely looking forward to "Pushing the Limits" too.

    This is my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, I LOVE contemporary books! It's my favorite genre. I don't care if it's YA, NA or Adult contemporary, I still love it.
    Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I'll add that to my contemporary list cuz I need recs and definitely don't read enough of them! Thanks girl! :)

      Delete
  24. i just read this side of paradise and thought it was incredible. Fitzgerald's the best.

    ReplyDelete