SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, October 5, 2020

Review: code name hélène




Female spies is all you really have to say to get me interested in a book. And that's really all I needed to hear when it came to me seeing CODE NAME HÉLÈNE around the book world. The fictionalized version of the true story of Australian born Nancy Wake, this book grabbed me from the first. The writing was both stark and emotive, bringing me close to tears at multiple points while reading. Nancy was a force to be reckoned with on the war front but was still a woman. What I mean by that is she didn't feel the need to compromise her a woman and her vulnerabilities, many times playing them up for a purpose—red lipstick anyone? 

 Her wit, bravery, and willingness to do whatever needed to be done to help people in need was incredibly inspiring. That she made so many personal sacrifices along the way only made her story that much more meaningful and heartbreaking. I was gripping this book white-knuckled I was so invested in her story and what happened to her. I also absolutely loved the two timelines of before and during the war and how we eventually met in the middle to make it come full circle.? Read this book if you love female spies, inspiring stories, and womens’ moments in history.? 

 Rating: 4.5 Stars | Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Doubleday books  | Source; Format: physical borrowed from library

Post a Comment