SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, September 14, 2015

When I'm Bad I'm Even Better

"Why wouldn't I keep a machete under my desk?"
--Karina Halle, Dirty Promises


Genre: Adult Contemporary, Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Metal Blonde Books
Pages: 419
Publication Date: September 15th, 2015
Source: ARC provided by author
Previous Books in SeriesDirty Angels & Dirty Deeds
Goodreads Description
Blood. Sex. Revenge.
It ain't easy being king.
Drug lord Javier Bernal has sliced and diced his way to the top of the Mexican drug trade, presiding over the country's largest cartel. But his rise to power comes at a brutal price: the death of his sister, Alana. Devastated and wracked with guilt, he turns away from his new wife, Luisa, forcing their marriage into a steady decline. But it isn't until she's pushed into the waiting arms of Esteban Mendoza, his right-hand man, that Javier realizes everything he's lost.
And it isn't until he learns the truth about Alana, that he realizes everything there is to gain.
Blood will spill.
Cities will burn.
Heads will roll.
Because Javier will stop at nothing until he gets what he wants.
And what he wants is raw, ruthless revenge.
The most dangerous man is the one with nothing left to lose.
The Violence
I won't lie. The reason I love these books are the dark places they go. It's no secret I love reading about people who give zero fucks and who get to actually act out their violent tendencies. I'm jealous, what can I say? With that said, this book lived up to my expectations and exceeded them in all their bloody glory. Javier and Luisa are in a bad place when we start this book. Javier is crazed after losing his sister and has pushed Luisa away. It broke my heart to read about them at odds when in Dirty Angels they are the reigning King and Queen of the cartels. But with their hurt feelings we get a lot of crazy brutality. Revenge is ever-present and the outcome is something I LOVED to see. They have been fucked over and when they get revenge it is so sweet.

The Aftermath
Without giving away any spoilers I really enjoyed Luisa and Javier relationship dynamic. As I said above, the beginning is no bueno but watching them work through it back to one another was something I really enjoyed. It wasn't easy and there were things between them that needed to be said that were painful. But I loved the honesty in it. Things happen between them, betrayals on both sides, and coming back from that isn't easy especially with these two psychos, er, people.

The Story
Going into this book I had one idea about how the plot was going to go...and I was so wrong. I thought I was walking into one type of situation and it proved me wrong pretty early on in the best way! I love, love, loved how the plot played out and the conflict that occurred. It was brutal and raw and while there were some things that made me really sad that happened, it did feel organic to the situation and type of people we are dealing with. I was really happy with how things happened and I was impressed with the way things worked out.

Reserved Seating
If you love dark, twisted, and gritty brutality in your stories...this book is for you.

Post a Comment