SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It's You, It's Not Me


I was tagged by Stephanie at No BS Book Reviews for the Unpopular Tag. I don't usually do these tags but this one was too funny to pass up. Let's talk all the shit about the books we didn't click with/praise the books we love that other people don't get. Let's do this. 

1. A Popular Book/Series You Didn't Like
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. *ducks from thrown tomatoes* Sorry not sorry. I couldn't even finish this book. I'll give you all the fact that Jamie is amazing because he is and the only reason I lasted as long as I did which was about 400 pages. Claire is infuriatingly stupid and selfish and I can't read about a character like that. 

2. A Book Series That Everyone Hates But You Love
The Selection by Kiera Cass. Y'all, I adore these books. I love America. I think she is perfectly flawed and realistic for a 16-17 year old. I also think the themes of this book are way more in-depth and intelligent than people give it credit for. Haters gonna hate. 

3. A Love Triangle Where The MC Ends Up With The Person You Didn't Want Them To End Up With or an OTP You Didn't Like
The Unearthly trilogy. I was so sad how this series ended because the romantic aspect, in my opinion, was not dealt with in a mature way. One guy became a complete non-entity when it could have been an amazing relationship but it wasn't given a chance and then how she ended up with the other guy was such a cop-out. SUCH a cop-out. No me gusta. 

4. A Popular Book Genre You Rarely Reach For
Young Adult Contemporary. I have zero time to deal with fluff involving 16 year olds. It's not for me. It might be for you, it's just not for me.

5. A Popular Beloved Character You Didn't Like
Travis Maddox. Um...Beautiful Disaster and me did NOT get along...at.all. I cannot even understand how Travis Maddox is a contender for people's ultimate book boyfriend. I can't. I just CAN'T you guys. There is nothing reedeming or sexy or romantic about this abusive asshole. Don't even get me started. 

6. A Popular Author You Can't Seem To Get Into
Stephanie Meyer. Ya'll I tried to read The Host. I tried. Killing me slowly by torture would have been less painful. Don't even get me started on my thoughts on Twilight. 

7. Popular Trope You're Tired Of Seeing
I'm not a huge fan of second chance romances. I am of the belief that people in your past or your exes are your exes for a reason and rarely see a reason to re-visit that. People do change and grow and it can be done well but it's not a book descriptor that I'll reach to read.

8. Popular Series You Have No Interest in Reading
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. See number 4. Don't try to convince me. I'm ruthlessly set on this. 

9. The Saying Goes, 'The Book Is Always Better Than The Move' But What Movie Do You Prefer More Than The Book
Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice. LOVED this movie and then I read the book afterwards and it is terrible! There is such little plot and so much fluff in the middle. Bo-ring! 

I tag anybody that wants to do this and air their grievances! BUT I specifically tag Betty, Hannah, and Rachel!

8 comments :

  1. I'm totally with you on the young adult contemporaries. They just don't do anything for me. I'm bummed to hear you didn't like Outlander (I have a mad love for that book), but I get where you're coming from. Might have to give America Singer another read... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLLL why are we so alike. 1. I read Outlander and it was SO HARD to get through it...I think I only survived because I was a baby blogger and was doing a readalong AND Jamie. Jamie was ALMOST worth it - the show though, I got on board with the show and them seksi times. 2. YA contemps. No thanks. They make me feel veryyyyy old because since I cannot relate. Also, they lack dragons and kickass assassins. Pass. 3. I read Anna for the gals on the same page and I was SO hesitant. I had SUCHHH a hard time...I ended up enjoying it in the end for a fluff read but the OBSESSION some have? I don't get it. 4. Interview With the Vampire...why does the book even exist? The movie is AMAZING and I was SO excited to read the book and then I was like WTF IS THIS SHIT?!!?? Also, The Princess Bride...movie is WAAAAYY better.

    Awesome post, ok ily..BYE BISH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. You're my favorite, and I could totally see us discussing all these books and you ranting away about some of them. *coughs Outlander coughs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on The Selection (loved it) and Unearthly (I was a Christian fan too). I freaking love Outlander though! I really hated pages 200 - 400, but I loved the beginning and the end, as well as the next two books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried Outlander once but couldn't get into it. I WANT to try it again before watching the TV show, but not sure I want to invest so much of my time into such a large book. I used to feel the same way about YA contemporary, so I actually don't read many fluffy books (I have to be in like the perfect mood for them). I like darker and more emotionally intense ones for sure. And oh my gosh, Travis fucking Maddox. When I first read Beautiful Disaster, I LOVED it. But I never considered Travis a book boyfriend because he is super problematic. The whole book is, basically. I'm almost 100% certain that if I reread it, I would hate it to pieces. I've also read Beautiful Oblivion, and that was a... disaster. I'm officially done with Jamie McGuire's books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha aww too bad about outlander! I remember when you tried to read it. So interesting about YA contemp -- I never read it until I started blogging. Some I like and even love, but the really fluffy ones I get wary about (thought I have enjoyed some). I can't get into stephanie meyer either. Back when the twilight obsession was happening I tried to read it... I didn't make it very far.

    -Wendy @ Book Scents

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Selection Series too. I' don't know why is gets so much hate, but I flew through that series. I thought the concept was interesting and I liked the lead character America. Can't wait to read The Heiress.

    ReplyDelete