SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I'll Let You Be My Rake

"The thing about pawns...
is if they reach the other end of the board, they become a queen."
--Lauren Smith, Wicked Designs


Genre: Adult Historical Fiction
Publisher: Samhain
Pages: 316
Publication Date: January 7th, 2014
Source: Gifted to me by the author, thanks Lauren!
Previous Books in Series: First in Series
Goodreads Description

The League of Rogues takes what they want - but have they taken on too much?

For too long Miss Emily Parr has been subject to the whims of her indebted uncle and the lecherous advances of his repulsive business partner. Her plan to be done with dominating men forever is simple - find herself a kind husband who will leave her to her books.

It seems an easy enough plan, until she is unexpectedly abducted by an incorrigible duke who hides a wounded spirit behind flashing green eyes.
Godric St. Laurent, Duke of Essex, spends countless nights at the club with his four best friends, and relishes the rakish reputation society has branded him with. He has no plans to marry anytime soon - if ever. But when he kidnaps an embezzler's niece, the difficult debutante's blend of sweetness and sharp tongue make him desperate for the one thing he swears he never wanted: love.

Yet as they surrender to passion, danger lurks in Godric's shadowed past, waiting for him to drop his guard - and rob him of the woman he can't live without.

Warning: This novel includes a lady who refuses to stay kidnapped, a devilish duke with a dark past, and an assortment of charming rogues who have no idea what they've gotten themselves into.
The Writing
After reading and loving Lauren Smiths' Surrender series--so, so much!!-- I was super excited to start her historical romances and I was not disappointed! Lauren has such a smooth writing voice, especially alternating POVs frequently, that I almost immediately felt engaged in the story. The action starts in the first chapter with Emily's kidnapping by Godric and from there we have a hilarious story and one of my favorite tropes, captor and captive. While this isn't the typical captor/captive story I read, I loved this one all the same. The story unfolds smoothly and organically. I really loved the pacing and how things played out. The historical aspect was on point and I loved getting to know this world.

The Plot
As I said above, I loved the story. Emily never gives up fighting for her freedom and in the meantime manages to woo the entire League of Rogues. I LOVED her personality and her feisty disposition. She was smart, clever, and snarky. Her banter with Godric and the rest of the club was so funny I was actually laughing out loud at time. The conflict surrounding her kidnapping was intriguing without being far-fetched or annoying. I'm new to the historical romance genre but I already feel like I have a good eye in regards to what works and what doesn't and this plot was perfectly balanced in romance and conflict outside the romantic aspect. The conflict also brought out Godric's possessive and protective side and holy shit I was suh-woon-ing! Rawr Godric...Rawr. Love love loved this broody bastard and I'll gladly be his captive.

The Bromance
The League of Rogues...OMG THE LEAGUE OF ROGUES. While I love the romance and it was hot as all hell, what stole the show for me what the bromance between the League. I LOVED their friendships and dynamic and how much they love each other. Their understanding of one another's needs was beautiful and selfless in the way only true friendships can be. I immediately wanted all of their love stories and cannot wait for the continuation of their lives and stories. It very much reminded me of the Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas in that the romances are great...but the friendships are what make the story that much more amazing.


Backstage Pass
If you love a clever heroine, a broody hero, and a gaggle of hot charming rogues...this book's for you.

1 comment :

  1. MEEP. Wicked Designs is my favorite of Lauren's historical romance series! I was so utterly charmed by the tale, and the characters :D

    ReplyDelete