SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Turning Lemons Into Lemonade

"I reflected that for all the people you lost touch with or couldn't hold on to,
life occasionally made up for it by giving you the right person at the right time"
--Lisa Kleypas, Smooth Talking Stranger   

Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 340
Publication Date: March 31st, 2009
Source: Borrowed from library
Previous Books in Series: Sugar Daddy & Blue-Eyed Devil

Goodreads Description

Jack Travis leads the uncomplicated life of a millionaire Texas playboy. He makes no commitments, he loves many women, he lives for pleasure. But no one has ever truly touched his heart or soul. Until one day, a woman appears on his doorstep with fury on her face and a baby in her arms. It seems Jack is the father and this woman is the baby’s aunt. The real mother has abandoned the child to her more responsible sister. And now, Jack is being called upon to take responsibility for the first time in his life. With delicious romantic tension, characters so real they walk onto the page and into your heart, Lisa Kleypas delivers the kind of novel that makes you laugh, love; cry and cheer.
Wow. Alexa and Raquel are so totally right, Lisa Kleypas is Queen. I had zero expectation going into this book. I didn't really feel like I knew Jack but I was sure I would be invested. I had no idea how much I would love this book. Our narrator is Ella, a very all-natural, vegan-eating (for the most part), independent woman who finds herself taking care of her (irresponsible) sister's newborn after the sister takes the kid to her mother's and runs off. Ella wants nothing to do with this responsibiilty at first but seeing as though she's this poor child's only option, she does her best...and her best is more than good enough.

Ella bonding and taking care of Luke is the absolute best part of this novel for me. I loved seeing her adapt and figure out how to care for this little newborn. I loved seeing her become attached to him like he were her own. I LOVED Jack being thrown in the mix because, I'm sorry not sorry, hot men+babies= ovaries exploding. How he completely accepted Luke and was there 100% without question to help Ella, because he wanted to, was completely sigh-inducing and hearts in eyes. Jack is capable, confident, thoughtful, and puts Ella first. Of course, 'Miss Independent' can't handle this.

This is my one 'Beast' of a criticism is that Ella really annoyed me sometimes. Her entire demeanor of 'I'm an independent woman which means I have to do everything on my own and asking for help shows weakness and a good looking assertive man could never really respect an independent woman' killed me slowly. Being an independent woman does not equate to solidarity or man-hating. Her judgements about Jack and who he is based on what he looked like and his interest pissed me the fuck off. I completely despise the mindset of women who believe feminism is being unable to accept help from a man or being vulnerable or being in love. It is NOT the same and it is about choice. You choose to never get married or never had kids, great fine wonderful, hope you're happy in life. You choose to get married, maybe or maybe not have kids, have a career, don't have a job, again, great grand wonderful. Whatever you want but do NOT force your opinions or life choices on other people thinking you're right. Ella does this with Jack and I eye-rolled so hard a few times.

However, I still loved the book! I only downed it half a star on Goodreads and that solely because of the above paragraph. Everything else was amazing. The romance (when she let herself be open), taking care of the baby (eeep!!!), the interactions with the rest of the Travises (omg looooove!), and the promise of another book with Joe (yeeeees!) had me loving every minute of this.
Backstage Pass
If you love hot men, adorable babies, and people working through their issues...this book's for you.

1 comment :

  1. Ahhhhhh. I just want to read Smooth-Talking Stranger now, thanks. But seriously, I loved this story way more than I expected I was going to! And I can't wait to revisit it <3

    ReplyDelete