SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Something Wicked This Way Comes

"One day everything can look okay, and the next day everything looks so grim, even though nothing has really changed…On bad days you have to remember the okay days, and then you’ll know that things will be okay again."
--Kate Brian, Hereafter

Genre: YA Paranormal
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion, 320 pages
Publication Date: October 1st, 2013
Source: ARC received via publisher at BEA
Goodreads
Previous Books in Series: Shadowlands

Goodreads Description

Rory Miller thought her life was over when a serial killer set his sights on her and forced her into witness protection. But a fresh start on Juniper Landing Island was exactly what she and her family needed. For the first time in years she and her sister hang out at the beach, gossip about boys, and party together. She's also made friends with a local clique--including a magnetic and mysterious boy named Tristan.
But Rory's world is about to change again. Picturesque Juniper Landing isn't what it seems. The truth about the swirling fog that rolls in each morning, the bridge that leads to nowhere, and those beautiful locals who seem to watch Rory's every move is more terrifying than being hunted by Steven Nell. And all Rory ever wanted was the truth. Even if it means learning that she can never go home again. From the best-selling author of the Private and Privilege series comes the second novel in a heart-stopping trilogy about a girl who must pick up the pieces after the only life she's ever known ends.

My Thoughts


Alright. So while I liked Shadowlands and thought it was a quick read even with it feeling fragmented, I REALLY liked Hereafter. What I was missing in Shadowlands, I found in the second installment. Let me break it down.

The plot of Hereafter felt so much more linear and cohesive than its predecessor. I felt like this second book flowed, it grew, it developed. With the big reveal from the first book now out in the open, I felt like the story was able to develop SO much more and we get more of the foundation of Juniper Landing rather than the mysterious aspect of it. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the mystery of the first book but we need to step out of the fog and into the light and start to get to the meat of the story. And we did just that. I really liked where the story went. While we still have an obvious mystery, it felt like it was just outside of the main focus of the story which I liked.

What I really loved about this book was the character development. We get to know Rory more. We get to know Darcy more. And the locals of Juniper Landing? We now have a handful of fleshed out characters with distinct voices and point of view. The relationship development between Rory and each local were some of my favorite parts. I liked getting to know them and what their angle is in regards to their duties on the island.

The alternating chapters between Rory’s voice and the unknown villain was creepy. I liked this. I had an idea of who it was and while it is revealed at the end who it is, I think I’m gonna call bullshit on the ending. Not in a bad way. I just have this feeling that who we are lead to believe it is, is not actually who it is. I have an educated guess on who it actually is because I just can’t believe who Rory believes it is at the end of the book. I just have this feeling book 3 will turn that ending upside down. Hmm….we shall see…

The aspect of moving on was a heavy one for me. I found myself tearing up at multiple points because of how honest and raw death is looked at in this book. It felt like I was punched in the chest at some points with how poignant the story felt. Reading about the real lives of some of the characters broke my heart a little. I wanted all of them to be happy and find peace and I found this book a lot darker and deeper than Shadowlands…and I liked it. It hurt sometimes but it definitely gave the entire story more edge and depth and complexity.

Should You Read This? Yes. It is a great second book that develops the plot well while continuing to really build on the character dynamics. I can’t wait for book 3 to see how this all wraps up!


Post a Comment