SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I Know I Want It

"We don't get all better;
we don't fix everything that's broken.
We just learn how to work around the broken bits.
How to do the best we can with what we have, and who we are."
--Lilah Pace, Begging For It


Genre: Adult Contemporary, Erotica
Publisher: Berkley
Pages: 352
Publication Date: September 1st, 2015
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Previous Books in Series: Asking For It
Goodreads Description

The provocative author of Asking for It once again explores the dark side of erotic obsession, and the secrets that make it as dangerous as it is irresistible.

Some secrets should only be shared in the dark.

Jonah and Vivienne’s erotic bond—living out raw scenarios of captivity and force—began as no-strings sex between strangers who shared the same desires. Now the intimacy between them is turning into love, but it’s a love built on fantasies so extreme that exploring them makes guilt inescapable. But the risks they're taking are far more dangerous than they'd imagined.

A stalker is terrorizing the city, and one of Jonah’s ex-lovers names him as a potential suspect to the police. Standing by a man under suspicion could cost Vivienne everything. But when Jonah’s stepfather takes advantage of the scandal to seize control of the Marks family fortune, Vivienne is drawn into her lover’s broken family and twisted past. Only then will she learn how dark the truth really is...
As you may or may not know, I read and fell in love with Lilah Pace's Asking For It a few months ago. When Begging For It showed up in my mailbox, I ACTUALLY screamed out loud. That is how excited I was. I honestly didn't know what to expect from Begging For It, it's always a little nerve-wracking when the next book comes out but this book, once again, took me by surprise.

Begging For It has a different feel than Asking For It but in the best way. The games that Jonah and Vivienne play that once bound them together is the component that now holds them apart. While there are a lot of revelations and dramatic situations because of their equally dysfunctional and horrible families, what stuck out most to me was the communication. These two people struggle with a very deeply rooted issue that cannot be spoken to many people for fear of ostracization but this was not the case between the two of them. I was so impressed with who open their lines of communication were, even when what they had to say to one another was painful and hurtful. When you also add in the mystery of a serial rapist running amok in Austin, we get suspense as well as honest conversation. Sidenote: I loved this element of the Stalker. It brought conflict in just the right way and opened our characters up to conversation and confrontation with decades old feuds.

Now that's not to say that all is rainbows and butterflies in fantasy land, their relationship was a constant push and pull, give and take of figuring out their own boundaries while struggling with their very real and deep feelings for one another. Pace builds these characters from the outside in and we know a lot about them and because of that, all their interactions and how their relationship progress and falters felt very organic and real to me. Their lives and pasts are not easy but they do the best they can and overcome so much. It never ceased to amaze me how truly awful their families, especially Vivienne if you can believe it, can be. But we do get a peep into the love the siblings of Jonah share for one another. This was another surprise while reading that I just loved. We got to see a new side of him that we most definitely weren't privy to before.

And while I love Jonah, more than words could say, Vivienne is a light in the darkness she doesn't believe she can ever escape. She is a truly phenomenal and complex characters. What I love about Vivienne is that her strength is a quiet one and I don't even think she knows she has it. She is a great friend, a thoughtful person, and a passionate woman. Her ability to be so straightforward with Jonah when discussing their relationship and sexual needs is refreshing. To see a woman really own her sexuality, while also being afraid of her desires to an extent, is really powerful. I know that she feels disgusted by herself at some points but it was honest and I loved the honesty.

Vivienne may objectively be my favorite but the love I felt for these characters was a subtle burn into full-fledged obsession. I found myself reading Begging For It and not wanting to stop or for it to end. I've come to really know and love Vivenne and Jonah and the people she surrounds herself with and I was not disappointed with how this second book at all. These books are so much more than dark sexual fantasy and 'depraved' content, they are about strength and owning yourself and not letting anybody force you to do anything. 
Backstage Pass
If you love complex characters, honesty, and amazing characterization...this book's for you.

1 comment :

  1. I pre-ordered this immediately after finishing "Asking for It" but am so nervous that it won't live up to my expectations.

    You made me feel a little less nervous anxious - now I just need release day to come faster!

    ReplyDelete