SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, August 17, 2015

Adventures in the Great, Wide Somewhere// Machu Piccu


Inca Trail

Day 4--Machu Piccu

The day is finally here! The culmination of 4 days of blood, sweat and tears brings us to the mother load...Machu Piccu. I won't lie to you, I cried when I got there. The exhaustion, hard work, rain, lack of indoor plumbing, and overall satisfaction in making it was on another level of endorphins. Maccu Piccu is beautiful and mysterious and epic. See pictures below for the amazing.

While I found Machu Piccu glorious, I won't lie, after 4 days of brutality and hardly being able to breathe it was juuuust slightly anti-climactic because personally, the top of that peak and the Sun Gate were my moments of triumph. Not to take anything away from Machu Piccu and I can't explain why I felt this way except I think I was so excited I made it the finish line rope was great but the accomplishment of just making it there was worth more to me than my weight in Incan gold--is there such a thing? I don't know but it sounded good.

What I find both fascinating and frustrating about the Inca's and their Machu Piccu home is that nobody really knows anything about them. Throughout my touring of Peru the phrase, "it could have been used for this" or "we think they did this" was overwhelming. We are looking at a legit square of dirt and historians and archeologists, etc. over time still have not fucking clue exactly how they lived exactly. For me, I'd rather have you just keep it a mystery to my gringo ass than try and bullshit a reason for this particular room compared to the one down the dirt road. The stone buildings and how they were constructed is legit insane. Huge boulders were used and filed down to fit into each other perfectly and without modern technology to help them, it's mind-blowing to wonder how they did it. I'm fine with that. Tell me it's one of histories greatest mysteries and I will drink the Kool-Aid. 


My theory is firmly rooted in the belief of Inca magic. Seriously. I am not embarrassed or ashamed to commit to my theory that they had magic. There's not other logical explanation for how these ancient civilizations built and did what they did. Tell me it was magic and I find that infinitely more believable and fascinating than, 'we think they used a system of pulleys etc. yadda yadda yadda.' Don't care. It's magic.

And if you're thinking I'm crazy, think on my own experience with Inca magic for a moment. If you've read my previous posts about my first few days on the Inca Trail, you'll know how hard it was. Brutal hills, steep steps, little oxygen. It was basically a marathon workout all day, every day and these hills and steps would put any Jillian Michaels video to shame. With that said, I was anticipating waking up every day in immense muscle pain...yet I did not. For 4 straight days my muscles were not sore. Not one bit. There was no stretching class, yoga intermissions, breaks to rest and really let your muscles recover. It was hardcore every day. But I was never sore. Inca magic on the Inca trail I tell you because the morning after the Inca Trail...goodbye ability to walk like a normal human. Swear to God, 4 days of no pain and the day after we leave the magic of the Inca Trail I have never been so sore in my life. I'm talking can't walk down the stairs, can't walk in a straight line, this lasted for 3 days if not more. Tell me, that isn't magic...

I also should point out to fellow travelers that hiking the Inca Trail is not the only way to get to Machu Piccu! You can also take about a 2 hour train ride up to the ancient civilization! That's how we hikers get back down to present civilization. I HIGHLY suggest the hike if you are able-bodied. Don't let my posts scare you because there were older people on my hike and when I say older I don't mean 30s, I mean like 60s so don't psych yourself out! Take it at your own pace and you will triumph!

Travel Class of Inca Trail and Machu Piccu
First Class--this is a must do and see for all

3 comments :

  1. MACCHU PICCU! I really, really, REALLY want to go and see this for myself in person one day. I have a fascination with old ruins; I like thinking about what it was like for the people who occupied that space, their history, their culture, their daily lives. It must have been so cool to see this place in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go back and find your posts about the hike because this is a trip I definitely want to take and I loved reading this. I actually got a little altitude sickness when in Colorado so I'm a little scared now to hike it even though I think physically I could do it. But that's not going to stop me. And I am all for believing in Inca magic too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these posts have been fantastic so far! I can definitely agree about the feeling you get once you accomplish something like this. Macchu Piccu seems like such an epic mystery too, I don't think I'd want to listen to what they had to say about it, but rather take in the knowledge I've already read & learnt and try and understand it that way. But what an achievement. You should definitely be proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete