SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fortune Favors the Brave

"Fortune favors the brave!
...and the brave make their own fortune!"
--The Immortal Heights, Sherry Thomas


Genre: YA Fantasy & Historical Fiction
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 432
Publication Date: October 13th, 2015
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Previous Books in SeriesThe Burning Sky & The Perilous Sea
Goodreads Description

In a pursuit that has spanned continents, Iolanthe, Titus, and their friends have always managed to remain one step ahead of the forces of Atlantis. But now the Bane, the monstrous tyrant who bestrides the entire mage world, has issued his ultimatum: Titus must hand over Iolanthe, or watch as his entire realm is destroyed in a deadly rampage. Running out of time and options, Iolanthe and Titus must act decisively to deliver a final blow to the Bane, ending his reign of terror for good.

However, getting to the Bane means accomplishing the impossible—finding a way to infiltrate his crypt in the deepest recesses of the most ferociously guarded fortress in Atlantis. And everything is only made more difficult when new prophecies come to light, foretelling a doomed effort....

Iolanthe and Titus will put their love and their lives on the line. But will it be enough?

With The Immortal Heights, Sherry Thomas brings the acclaimed Elemental Trilogy to its breathtaking conclusion.
SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS AHEAD...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

You guys...you guys!! So I re-read The Burning Sky and The Perilous Sea prior to reading The Immortal Heights and it was one of the best reading experiences ever. These book are so well-written, inspiring, and emotional. There is so much action in addition to the emotional component and the balance is perfection. The same can be said for this final installment. I was so nervous starting because during my re-read because this is one of my favorite series ever and these characters NEEDED to be okay! Okay?! Titus and Iolanthe #TeamFortuneFavorsTheBrave

Ok, without giving too much away, this final book was everything I wanted. Action, suspense, inspiring self-sacrifice, selfless acts, and love...true, deep, soul-crushing love. In so many different forms. I could talk about Iolanthe and Titus for hours but the love in this book is so much more than that. The friendships between Titus and Iolanthe and Kashkari and Haywood and the other rebels we meet is so beautiful. I was in awe over how much they care for one another and how they have each others backs.

But I can't NOT talk about Iolanthe and Titus. Okay...their banter is on.another.level. They are 100% badass on their own, together they are beyond epic, but they never hesitate to show each other tenderness. You never question their devotion to each other and I LOVED this. While I don't think its realistic to make out in the middle of a war zone, I also really dislike when characters don't take the time or moments to show their love. Like this could very honestly be the end of the world, take what you can. I think Sherry Thomas balanced the urgency of their task and their love for one another perfectly. I swooned so hard so many times it was ridiculous. Legit. Iolanthe could kiss Titus on the cheek and I would have to pause to absorb how lovely that was. Their random endearments towards one another and their passionate words just enveloped my heart. It was bleeding all over the place for this couple and I ship them so fucking hard!!! SO HARD! They are some of my favorite, favorite couples! All the stars!!!!

The thought the pacing of the plot was on point. This book picks up right where The Perilous Sea ends and the action is almost non-stop. The trials and setbacks they go through I felt were completely realistic to their situation and I really appreciated their moments of total uncertainty like, 'well, what the hell do we do now?' It felt completely real to me. On the flip side of that, the down moments of revealing plot secrets and moments of discovery were placed intermittently throughout the action and it just fit so well with the ebb and flow of the story.

The conclusion of this series is everything I was expecting. Questions are answered. A theory I made since book 1 was actually correct which I was pretty damn excited about! The feels are there in spades and the action is amazing. Their fight is one for freedom and it is so inspiring and these characters make you want to join a revolution. If you have not picked up this series yet, what are you waiting for?!?!
VIP
If you love an amazing fantasy world, an inspiring story, and one of the best romances ever...this book's for you.

3 comments :

  1. Omg these books and this series!! I can't express my love for them enough. I already want to reread them. Titus and Iolanthe are one of my all-time favorite couples. Their banter and their love is just so amazing. Perfectly developed and I absolutely LOVE that they work TOGETHER through this whole series rather than the usual angsty "no we're fighting now" trope that is so popular. So happy I could text/flail with you while I was reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really love this entire series! It's extremely well-written, with such complex characterization and strong themes. And plus, it's hard not to love the relationship Titus and Iolanthe have! They're two badass individuals who happen to make a great team, banter like pros and are so, so sweet with each other. I LOVED READING ABOUT THEM <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this book because of the interesting plot. Moreover, the love is very great although the author doesn't describe too much.

    Helen@certification tesol

    ReplyDelete