SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Coming Back For More

“Fight the battles you can win 
and accept the ones you can't. 
That's how you survive."
--CJ Roberts, Seduced in the Dark


Genre: Adult Erotica
Publisher: Neurotica Books, 505 pages
Publication Date: August 30th, 2012
Source: Bought
Goodreads
Previous Books in Series: Captive in the Dark

Goodreads Description

BOOK TWO OF THE DARK DUET
The exciting, titillating, and action-filled conclusion to Captive in the Dark.

What is the price of redemption?

Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.

The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.

Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance?

Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?

Quote:
It seemed to Caleb, the nature of human beings revolved around one empirical truth: we want what we cannot have. For Eve, it was the fruit of the forbidden tree. For Caleb, it was Livvie.

My Thoughts


WARNING: THIS BOOK IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THOSE UNDER 18, CONTAINS SEXUAL SITUATIONS AND DISTURBING CONTENT

Like I said in my very brief review on Goodreads right after I finished reading, a part of me must be absolutely crazy for loving this book as much as I do. It is dark. Twisted. Sadistic. Horrifying. But oh so good. All the elements combine with passionate writing to give you a story you do not think you can even stomach at times...and you end up loving it. 

The second part of the Dark Duet series does not hold back in any way, shape, or form. The emotions are intensified. The betrayals sting that much deeper. And the humiliation rocks you to the core. Where do I even begin? So, the story is told in both present day and flashback form. Livvie is in a mental hospital and re-telling her ordeal with Caleb. We slowly get the puzzle pieces put together one by one. And let me tell you this right off the bat, this story is so much more intricate and complicated that you have NO idea what is going to happen until it hits you right in the face. Seriously. I could not believe the arc the story went and I am floored by how surprised I was by everything.

Livvie and Caleb. Oh my heart. I'm not sure I can give enough credit to CJ Roberts because I felt my emotions right in tune with Livvie's and like Livvie, I can't explain it either. I never thought I could feel so much love and hate for a character and cycle so quickly through them. It's like emotional whiplash. Caleb is so infuriatingly frustrating and I was telling him to fuck off constantly in my head. Livvie was just put through the ringer over and over again by this bastard. But you know...you know he wants to love and protect her he just has the most messed up way of showing it. Some of the things he does are unforgivable...like I can't even begin to describe the emotional anguish I felt during some scenes. And you just get so mad because you know he is better than that. Livvie knows. For some reason, she just knows. I think this shows a lot about Livvie's character that through all the humiliation and punishment she still sees the good in him. At times it all seems for naught but she knows deep down he feels for her. This might have been the most fascinating part of the story for me. She loves him. She shouldn't. She knows it sounds crazy. And she knows it is not Stockholm's. They are tragically beautiful. 

Ok, SPOILERS AHEAD YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.............so I don't want to spoil too much but I have to say CJ Roberts definitely delivers in the end. All the emotional anxiety and angst you feel is justified by the end. Oh these two! When they're both not being idiots and cut out the bullshit they are just amazing together. Caleb--oh how my heart breaks for him toward the end. I just wanted to hug him and tell him it will be alright. *sigh* I can't explain it. The writing of this twisted and devious story is amazing. It is only with excellent writing that this story can be interpreted in a good way. Kudos to Roberts because this type of story could go so wrong in so many ways and instead it is so right in so many ways. The emotional journey of Livvie is founded by inner strength and forgiveness and just plain courage. Her character development was the absolute best. And I can't wait for the epilogue to see...well I can't tell you what the epilogue will be about because it would ruin the ending ;)

OH OH OH AND AGENT REED!?! There will be a spin-off with him that I am OH so excited for! Can't wait to read about his fucked up sexual desires...rawr. 

Should You Read This? This book will give you all the feels and not always in ways that you want. If you loved Captive in the Dark then of course! Read it! If you like dark, erotic, sometimes horrifying situations then I'd pick this up. It is so worth the read if you like anything twisted. Thanks again, Nereyda for the rec! 

1 comment :

  1. AHHHH. I'm not sure this is for me, but I see it everywhere and I waffle between WANTING to read it asap and wanting to stay far away! Great review! Glad these stories captivated you.

    ReplyDelete